15 July 2013

COCONUT AND SULTANA COOKIES WITH CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE

I love cookies, you can put any ingredients in them and they taste amazing! Today I was feeling really summery so decided to make some of my coconut cookies. Just as I was about to prep though I realised that I had a bag of sultanas in the cupboard, at first I though coconut and sultana yuck! However my brother pointed out that mixed fruit contains coconut and sultana so I though why not, at least if they tasted horrible I could blame him. In the end they tasted really good and I had created a yummy crumbly cookie. Of course I had to get some chocolate in there somewhere, which is where the drizzle comes from.

Makes 20-30 cookies
12-15 Minutes to bake

INGREDIENTS
                                            245g butter                           2tsp Vanilla extract
                                           pinch of salt                           50g sultanas
                                           40g desiccated coconut         1 egg yolk 
                                           280g plain flour                     140g casting sugar
                                           8 cubes of chocolate
    
 METHOD
  1. Before you begin preheat your oven to gas mark 5 (190C/375F) and make sure your egg and butter is at room temperature. Line two baking trays with baking paper so that your cookies don't stick.
2.Whisk together your butter and sugar, I use an electric whisk as it's quicker, you can whisk by hand it will just take a bit longer. Keep whisking until your mixture is fluffy and light. Now add your egg yolk and vanilla extract and whisk until well blended.

                                 
3. Sift your flour and salt into the mixture and add your sultanas and coconut. Mix until combined and forming a dough.

 4. Like this. Cookie dough is soooo tasty!
 5. Either using an ice cream scoop or spoon scoop out equal amounts and shape into balls, placing far apart on your baking tray so that they don't blend together. 

USEFUL HINT: Using an icecream scoop makes ensuring all cookies and cupcakes have the same amount of mixture so much easier. Invest!

6. Bake for 12-15 Minutes and remove when they start to brown and still look a little undercooked as this will make them soft. Place on a cooling rack so they are cold when you cover with chocolate.

7. Place 8 cubes of chocolate in a microwavable bowl and stick in they microwave for 1 minute. If you don't have a microwave then place the chocolate in a microwavable bowl over a boiling saucepan of water. Using a spoon drizzle the chocolate over your cookies, leave to cool.

And there we have some scrummy coconut and sultana cookies with chocolate drizzle. So easy and tasty. Give them a go, they are so good. If you need some persuading they are only around 130 calories each. YUM!

 
 Obviously it wouldn't be messy kitchen without me showing you how messy my kitchen was. Today it wasn't that bad as I didn't have to use icing sugar but my mixer did decide to send butter flying around the room and the flour got a bit excited and jumped out of my sieve....


No comments:

Post a Comment