29 August 2013

DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE

 
So tomorrow I have a whole load of people coming over and my mum asked me to bake a cake, something that everyone would like. I thought it over considering a classic victoria sponge but then decided that was a little boring. Then I remembered this one cake I had made for my friends called 'devil's food cake' everyone had loved it so I knew this was the one. 
This week has been so stressful, we finally found someone to take over the spare room in my house, but I have a feeling she may not like cake, which could be a huge problem! So here is the recipe for devil's food cake. Enjoy :)

Serves 8
Takes 30 minutes to bake

 INGREDIENTS 
100g unsalted butter 
2 eggs
200g self-raising flour
275g casting sugar
1tsp baking powder
130ml cooled coffee
1tsp vanilla extract
125ml milk
75g cocoa powder

METHOD
 
 1. Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 (180C/350F).  Make sure your eggs and butter are at room temperature.
 2. Line the bottom of two tins with baking paper and grease the sides.


 3. Cream together your butter and sugar until smooth.
 4. Add your eggs one at a time. Mix well.
 5. In a seperate bowl sift together your self-raising flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
 6. In another bowl mix together your vanilla extract, coffee and milk.
7. Add  cup of each of the flour and coffee mixture at a time to the butter mixture, mixing well between each cup.
 8. Your mixture should look smooth and glossy.
 9. Divide the mixture between two tins and place in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes, remove when a skewer comes out clean.

 10. They should look like this, leave to cool.

ICING

 


INGREDIENTS
125g unsalted butter
130g icing sugar
25g cocoa powder
3tbsp milk

 1. Melt your butter over a low heat.
 2. Sift in your cocoa powder, it will look lumpy but it is fine. Stir and then leave to cool.
 3. When cooled add your milk and stir.
 4. It should look like this. To thicken leave to cool.
 5. When thick enough place between your two layers and then cover your cake.
 6. Decorate however you want, I used grated chocolate.

7. There you have it a yummy chocolate devil's food cake. Super yummy. Try it out and let me know what you think :)


No comments:

Post a Comment